As I was posting another couple of images of my baby boy to share with family and friends I began to wonder what it will be like for him growing up already being part of the machine. It is one thing to make the choice to live online, as I and pretty much everyone has done so far. But what about this new generation who are born to parents choosing to live online, and to share their children's lives online? When he gets old enough to want his own profile / blog / avatar (or their future versions) will he want all his baby photos untagging? Or will it be the norm for him that his whole life is catalogued online?
The move is taking place. No longer is the embarrassing baby pic something for a proud parent to keep until prospective partners appear...its already out there. Should we be thinking about our baby's online identity as much as our own? Should we be teaching the machine about him already?
And then I got to thinking about other ways the world has just shifted. What about Star Wars? Should he watch it the same way I did (the original, then the new)? Or should he see it in the chronological order of the story? Will he forgive Jar Jar Binks as we did the Ewoks? Will this be the parent / child chasm we have to overcome?

No comments:
Post a Comment