Saturday, 11 April 2009

Background activity

I used to be quite adept at doing nothing. Or at least seemingly doing nothing. And certainly nothing of worth.
You know, the getting up late only to lie on the settee eating toast, drinking an endless stream of tea with the most challenging activity being following the plot of the Hollyoaks omnibus (even though I'd watched them all in the week). Doing nothing.
Now, my mind hums constantly with ideas and things I should / could be doing. I should be writing, I should be reading, I should be sketching, I should be outside, I should be thinking, I should be laughing, I should be listening, I should be living.
It seems I can relax...sure...but just not in the totally mind-numbed ways of old.
I thought I would slow down as I got older, that the creativity would be chipped away at by the everyday grind. If that is what's happening my mind isn't giving in to the mundane without a fight.
I'm blessed with a plethora of ideas across all my interests but cursed (in the nicest way) without the time to really nurture them. It seems a shame after being switched back on not to really work though...
On stand by just isn't enough.

No comments: