This is me. I mean you. I mean us. Look, it is me and I am you, just older. Alright? Anyway, we don't really need to dwell on that. Let's just say you might want to read this as I think I know a few things that might confort or help you.
Before we start I may as well say I can't tell you the winning lottery numbers or deliver you an almanac as that may change the future and then I might not be here or whatever to give you the info. Basically I'm too worried about causing a paradox to do any of that...although that's something that hasn't changed - my understanding of the space time continuum and paradox is still based on Back to the Future 1, 2 and 3.
What I can tell you are some little things which I know now because I'm older. If you knew them before you go through the things you're going to go through it might make all the difference to your sanity and happiness.
Ok - so in a format I know you'll understand (and be assured this format never gets old):
Top Five Things To Help You Grow Into Being Me
- Yes, it is love. Yes, you should tell him. Yes, brace yourself because you know it's going to hurt just not for the reasons you think it is. But he's still here, and it's still love. So stick with it even when you think it's an endgame and everything is against you and things will never be the same again. They won't but you don't need to be as frightened of that as you think. Top tip - the cola flavoured lip balm isn't as crazy and you think it is.
- You're not just fat so don't let anyone dismiss you with that. I can't stress enough how much that is a battle you need to keep fighting. Don't accept your lot in life. You know what I mean already but believe me, a couple of years from now you need to really hang onto this. But remember, I'm still here. Although now I am just fat.
- You don't have to get through everything as fast as possible, slow down, enjoy. Get off the pill, that will free you from your binds and you'll see that things aren't so bleak after all. Don't worry that you might miss something if you don't do it now. It'll all come right.
- It's true - what's for you, won't pass you by. The things you want will come from unexpected angles is all.
- Get that wedding dress you really wanted. You will be thin enough to wear it after all.
Everything you thought you knew about yourself is true. Just calm it down and smile more. Everything is going to be alright mei mei.
All my love,
Your thirty-year-old self.
PS.
- Mum is wrong about the ear piercing. It is fine, they won't stretch into massive holes with lobes on your shoulders. Honest.
- Everything you need to know is contained in the lyrics to The Fountainhead by The Bluetones.
- You're in LA at the moment. I'm still paying for that trip. Make more of it.
- The future me hasn't written yet to re-assure me. I have no idea what the future holds beyond this point.
- I could tell you what is going to happen to online but you wouldn't believe it. It's in line but beyond our wildest dreams and getting better all the time. Don't stop talking online or meeting people - eventually you won't be seen as a freak for this.
- You think you don't care right now but the boys are coming back. Stop referring to them as 'your dirty little secret' and embrace that part of your life. They and the people you associate with them are going to bring you so much happiness!
- Try harder to keep track of your ID bracelet and magic beads. I miss them now they're gone.

7 comments:
Hindsight is such an asset! It's a shame that we are unable to use it in advance of, rather than following, an event (whatever that event might be).
An interesting read, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
What a great post. I wonder what I would say! I don't even know where to start.
Though to be honest, I think I'd still save the cheerleader no matter what happens to my timeline.
Take care
@richardmackney
Thanks both :)
I didn't know where to start - lots of things I would want my past self to just go through without knowing. But without knowing the detail I wanted her to know that my now husband lives and so do I even though in the last 10 years we've both been resuscitated.
There are loads more things I would want to tell her like 'yes, everything you need to know is in the lyrics of The Bluetones The Fountainhead' but too late now I've posted!
Sx
* standing ovation... *
Great post, Sarah.
What I wish I could tell my younger self....
1. What I want changes every 7 years. What was important at 21 usn't always at 28 and 35.
2. Even the tough parts of life you will get through.
3. Do that night class in meditation now you have the time. It'll come in handy.
4. Kids are the best thing you'll ever do. Have them sooner.
5. Keep supporting Stoke City. One day they will reach the Premiership and yo uwill be proved right.
Good list Dan - not sure I agree with number five in the detail but keep the faith is a good one (although perhaps not so much the Bon Jovi album of the same name) ;)
Brillant post :)
I'm almost inspired to write a letter to my younger self, but I know I (my younger self) wouldn't read it!
x
Glad you liked it Russell. I think the past me would read it but would be a bit 'whatever' about it all.
I've sent it to the me in November 1999 so most of the things I'm telling her are yet to come.
She knows about taking the rocks with the rolls, I just don't think she's really grasped what that means yet!
x
Post a Comment