Tuesday, 6 April 2010

EV001 Manchester (MixTape)

First out of the Epic Visionary stable is EV001 - the collaborative mixtape based on the music of Manchester (or the music / artists Dan Slee and I associate with that city).

This came out of discussions about the wonder of mixtapes and whether that beauty could be re-created online (see previous post). This was all sparked by a discussion on the Radcliffe and Maconie show on Radio 2 (Thursday 1 April 2010).

So here we have it - the tracklisting for that very tape. A rough proximity of the tracklisting is in Spotify - but not all the tracks were available - I've done my best here!

A sneaky peek at the artwork is over there on the right but I'll try and upload it in a version for cassette & cd in case you own all these songs (or why not buy them if you don't!) and wanna burn your own copy. The pic used on the cover is my own so go mad and print it off if you like!

And please, let's not fall out, some of these bands are not from Manchester itself but the surroundings, heck some of them are from Salford a city in its own right! But this is a tape of Our Manchester (I'm also aware the cover pic shows Salford on the left and Manchester on the right).

Disagree? Let us know but the best answer is to make your own tape and pass it on (the tracklisting - once again, home taping is killing music!) to us as an education! (I'd really like a C90 of forgotten or less known Manchester indie if anyone is ready and willing?)

Side A - as mixed by Dan Slee
  • The Smiths - This Charming Man
  • Charlatans - The Only One I Know
  • The Fall - Mr Pharmacist
  • The Stone Roses - Waterfall
  • Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
  • 808 State - Pacific 202
  • Buzzcocks - What Do I Get?
  • The Fall - Bingo Master's Break-Out
  • The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
  • Happy Mondays - WFL
  • The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection
Side B - as mixed by Sarah Lay
  • Charlatans - Weirdo
  • Inspiral Carpets - Saturn 5
  • Brassy - Play some D
  • New Order - Regret
  • Oasis - Masterplan
  • Doves - Here it comes
  • Badly Drawn Boy - Once Around the Block
  • Elbow - Starlings
  • Puressence - This Feeling
  • Joy Division - Atmosphere
  • Morrissey - Irish Blood, English Heart
What now? Well, the EV's are working on something to feed this fire but in the meantime we have another pair of tape-makers in Jamie Summerfield and Russell Tanner. Their C90 will be their musical interpretation of Summertime Classics.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff!
Glad to see 2 Fall tunes and a (late) favourite New Order track too.
Already menatlly at work on the follow-up: "alt.87-92". It'll have more that just Manc stuff on and focus on less well known stuff used to play out (or want to play out) when I was an "indie" [sic] DJ during that period.
Stand by...

Sarah said...

I am excited already - especially as I only turned 13 in 1992 and so I'm thinking your mix will include lots of new-to-me tracks and that is always a good thing!
Glad you like the mix we put together - don't think there should be any hard or fast rule. Me and Dan picked Manchester mainly because I'd been on a daytrip there and was reading the Tony Wilson biog - it was just more on my mind that usual so was front-runner as a theme!
Can't wait to hear / see your mix :)

Essitam said...

Doves, Stone Roses,Elbow - THIS IS AWESOME!

Sarah said...

Glad you like the sound of it :)
I'm already thinking of the next mix...

Unknown said...

Nice selection and great cover too - hope EV002 can match up!

Sarah said...

If it doesn't pass muster it doesn't get the EV number stamp ;)
Sure the summertime mix will be wonderful and fill our musical souls with sunshine!