Sunday, 15 March 2009

Top five: films that have inspired or shaped my view of love and friendship

  1. Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life. Everyone says it now but this is a enchanted piece of film-making and what at first seems like nostalgic whimsy is a dark story with a powerful tale of romantic love and friendship. It's not Christmas until I have melted into tears in front of this while scoffing buffet food. Plus, Jimmy Stewart...
    "Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends." The inscription Clarence writes in George's book
  2. A Life Less Ordinary. Real love happens in the unlikeliest of places and when it happens you just have to let it happen and not question it. You have to risk your heart, then trust your heart. Plus, Ewan MacGregor...
    "Because as he dreamt, I shall save his life with an arrow, an arrow of my love for him." Celine
  3. True Romance. Because it makes you do stupid things and even when you're scared you can be brave. Plus, Christian Slater...(and special mention to Alabama's style...just awesome).
    "I look back and am amazed that my thoughts were so clear and true, that three words went through my mind endlessly, repeating themselves like a broken record: you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool." Alabama
  4. Stardust. Just makes me remember to believe in fairytales and happy endings. Plus, end credits song by Take That.
    "So yes, I know that love is unconditional. But I also know it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and... What I'm trying to say, Tristan, is... I think I love you. My heart... It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it doesn't belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I'd wish for nothing in exchange. No gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine." Yvaine to Tristan.
  5. Empire Records. Friendship, romantic and music love. Sometimes it's the situation that binds you; sometimes it's more than that. And sometimes you don't realise until it's too late or almost too late.
    "And I did love you, and I still... only I didn't realise that it really was love because it was more than love and it wasn't just some stupid feeling in my stomach like everything else and I'll never love anybody as much as you and I hate you! I hate you!" Corey to AJ

No comments: