Tuesday, 2 June 2009

Switch it on

I'm your average work-a-day Jane. I work during daylight hours, weekdays. I don't have to bother my head about swing-shifts or coming off nights or any of these other work patterns that leave me both bamboozled and in awe of the people who do.
But that's my work. When it comes to the creative side of things my muse seems to be strictly a creature of the night. I can try and force it in the day but in the dark it all just flows.
It's not something I've thought about in a long time as my muse took a long sabbatical and left me dry. Now it's back though and I'd forgotten just how persistent the feeling is of needing to get an idea sketched out and coloured in.
It picks at my mind as I lie in bed, refusing to be talked down or reasoned with, it absolutely must GET DONE NOW. My toddler is less demanding than this urge to create.
I am all about words right now. I have several things on the go: I write for work, I write for uni, I write to bolster secret plans and now it seems I write with a greater purpose as well. I write creatively again.
But this writing, these characters, won't let me rest and forget about them for a while. They want my attention and they want it when the rest of me is crying out for sleep.
I don't want to lose the feeling though, can't let the train of thought derail, and so I burn this candle at both ends and let the words spill messily, frantically from my sleepy brain.

No comments: