Sunday, 12 July 2009

This train is now approaching its destination...

This train is now making it's last few stops en route to Destination 30. It's at the point in the journey where I can't ignore the fact I will be stood on the platform, firmly in another decade of life, soon. (Where is this analogy going?)
At the last milestone birthday (18 I suppose) I was racing to catch up with my friends for the legality of what that age brings. This time though I've been only too willing to let them go first, to be my first defence against the end of my 20s.
It's only a number though right? Nothing is really going to change...is it? Really? Can anyone absolutely promise me that?
This week two of my longest serving friends will fall to the big three zero. I have no doubt they will do it in their imitable and spectacular style. I wish I'd had longer to spend with them in this celebration than I did. But this is part of heading for 30 right? Having to appreciate the fleeting times that life allows you to be with people who were once a daily fixture?
I dunno...I am sure this seems like a bigger thing than it needs to be. In many ways I am looking forward to making the milestone. I just think I need to make my peace with never being twenty-something ever again.

No comments: