Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Where's Robbie?

Ok, strap in, we're about to collide my passion for online with my passion for music. Alright, my passion for people who are or have been members of Take That. Anyway, we're about to whack those two interests together and see if we can't get a reaction of some sort.

So, in writing a little review of Robbie Williams' latest album (see previous post) I happened to make reference to his Twitter account. I follow this account although on the few occasions it sparks to life I've asked myself why. It's cold, it's corporate, it's blatantly PR (and not great PR at that). The man himself may not even be aware these record company minions are spouting occasional hype on his behalf.

My first mention lead to a conversation with a fellow tweeter about how this was a perfect example of how not to use Twitter (or indeed any social media really) and we had a few minutes of fun tweeting about it knowing that no-one on the Robbie account was listening.

I had a similar bout of tweeting about (really at) the account today and before the idea could go through any approval process I was announcing I was going after this account to see if I could get them to see why social media is about conversation and not bellowing release dates through a handy online megaphone.

Encouraged by other tweeters (and by encouraged I mean they didn't actively try to stop me) my rash idea started to grow into a plan in my head.

It's not going to be easy. I mean on first investigation the Robbie Williams PR / label have built a pretty impressive wall around their broadcasts with out so much as a foothold of an email address. I don't hold any hope that they are monitoring mentions either on Twitter or in the wider blogosphere. I'm pretty sure I can sleep sound at night knowing they have no idea little ole me is out here in the online space.

There may be a bigger mountain to climb; they might be listening or know that they can, they may just not care. That, I have to admit, is a fight I don't know that I can win. But hey, I've always been borderline brave / stupid so I'm going give it a go and see how far I can get.

I think it's time to play a game of Where's Robbie? Let's see if we can't get just one tweet that at least has the appearance of being sent by the man himself...hell, ghost writing would be a step up from automated marketing.

Come on Rob, come out come out wherever you are...

(Why am I doing this? I'm not entirely sure, it may well be the simple fact that there is nothing more powerful than a bad idea thats time has come. I know there are better battles I could pick to fight online that would have more impact and worth...I hope what I do in my day job is fighting on some of those front lines. So this is a bit of fun. Something that if it works might raise a smile for a few people and sometimes that's reason enough)

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Hey there - good luck with the Robbie hunt. Great idea!!!

Sarah said...

Thanks Jamie...one of those ideas that starts as a bit of a joke but now, even though I'm not sure why, I feel compelled to see through. :)

Unknown said...

You're our kind of crazy! lol

Good luck with this challenge :)

Come on Rob...give us all one little tweet!

The ISpyers - http://twitter.com/ispytt