Monday, 25 August 2008

We're all right where we're supposed to be



Leeds 2008 is all done, the last of the tramp tan washed away. All that remains are the memories running like excitable electrical jolts through my veins, the fraying wristband and a darkening bruise on my leg from being wonderfully battered in the mosh.
Each year I become more convinced that Leeds isn't just somewhere I go, it's a state of being. A spiritual home. All those things that people hate about festivals (the toilets, the lack of washing etc) I love in someway. It is all part of being there.
It feeds perfectly the bohemian / hippy leanings in me as everything becomes tolerable and entertaining. Watching everyone emerge from the trappings of responsibility over the weekend is a beautiful, beautiful sight. Mischief and fun are everywhere...the air is alive with it. 
And that is before we even think about the music....
So the top five highlights of 2008 would look like this:
Manic Street Preachers
Amazing. The perfect ending. Over too soon. 
I am revisiting some old records this morning and reassessing my historically harsh critique of this band. Headlining in the Radio 1 / NME tent on Sunday night (so up against The Killers on the main stage) the Manics were only granted an hour (which seemed as bemusing and disappointing to them as it was to the rest of us) we were given an awesome set including Faster, La Tristesse Durera, Motorcycle Emptiness, If You Tolerate..., Your Love Alone, You Love Us and finishing on the anthemic Design for Life.
Design took on a new dimension as we sang it back to them with passion in our hearts and love in our voices. This song was meant for us there last night in the best possible way.
"We don't talk about love, we only want to get drunk, and we are not allowed to spend, as we are told that this is the end."
The Cribs
I like The Cribs. I have a fondness for them. I might not have seen them other than for the fact I really didn't want to see Metallica with the others.
And I was rewarded with what I was sure would be my festival highlight (narrowly pipped to title by last minute Manics). 
This band though gave a raucous set alive with the moment...and I gained personal enjoyment from watching a boy in hot pink shutter shades dancing to Hey Scensters.
We Are Scientists
I don't think they are able to provide anything but a satisfying set. Although for me, as much as I loved them being on the main stage (for them) I would have preferred to see them in the tent. I love them most in a tight, intimate setting (take the double entendre if you wish). But as the sun started to slide from the sky on Sunday afternoon the connection was formed briefly again and they led me into that place where I became only vaguely aware of the thousands of other people around me. 
"We're all right where we're supposed to be, time means nothing."
Santogold
A surprising little set by Santogold. Got us dancing and definitely up for hearing more from her.
MGMT
Everyone was bang up for this set and we weren't disappointed. May even have worked better on the main stage. 
Time to Pretend synchronizing perfectly with our moment and internal dance switches across the tent.
"This is our decision, to live fast and die young. We've got the vision, now lets have some fun. Yeah, it's overwhelming but what else can we do? Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning news."
A notable mention should go to Feeder who every year (it seems) churn out music for the masses on the main stage. It doesn't really work in any other setting than the festival but fair play to them for that.
Serj Tankian claimed to have solved the Middle East problem simply by encouraging the person with the Lebanese flag and the person with the Israeli flag to move together in the crowd. 
RATM were beset with problems through their set. A delayed start and a couple of aborts due to what I think were sound problems (although they were reported at the time as crushing in the pit). Still, 50,000 people throwing up the rock hand and shouting 'Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me' has to be worth some points.
Also rans...
Dropkick Murphys, Hadouken!, The Rascals, The Music, Cage the Elephant, Tenacious D, The Last Shadow Puppets, Biffy Clyro, Jack Penate, Vampire Weekend, QOTSA, Mystery Jets, The Ting Tings, Bloc Party and 3 Trapped Tigers.
Loving...
Wristband exchange on entry to campsite rather than in the village, the new layout in the arena, campsite DJs, this year's Condiment Kings - The Earthman, and the money-making opportunity that was collecting discarded cups and bottles.
Not so much...
Appalling sound all of the time on the main stage, the bottle neck of trying to get everyone through a 6 ft wide gap in quick mud, quick mud generally, singing at 6am...
So all that is left is the memories, the photos and the anticipation of exactly what ways it will find to please next year...but until then a little part of me will be forever Leeds.

No comments: