Tuesday, 9 September 2008

Because he needs it, wants it, almost loves it


I accept my fate. I am destined to feel the change of the seasons with the nostalgic need for certain music.

Autumn is coming. Wet, windy, grey, miserable. Hopefully in time it will feel it has announced itself proudly and settle to crisp and clear but time will tell.
Right now it is blustering about getting in everyone's face. And all I can think of is going home and listening to The Great Escape by Blur. Why? I have no idea...

Perhaps because it was an Autumn release and I seem to remember it being similar to the current weather. But I long to sit in a cosy, dim room and bask in both the comfort of the situation and the sound.
To sit curled in a favoured armchair while The Universal serenades me. To watch rain thunder across the window pane while He Thought Of Cars nudges past. Ahhh, to be...

I never crave (or never have so far) this album at any other time of year. Through all other seasons I am happy to leave it staring unobtrusively from its place amongst so many other albums, hardly noticed. It must have imprinted itself upon me in some way when it was released so forever in my mind it is linked to the coming of darker, colder, wetter days.

No comments: