Quicken the Heart - Maximo ParkI'm slightly forcing this review out as my overriding feeling at the moment, after several hours listening to this album, is 'meh'. Straight in to the number two position of feelings on this album is disappointment.
At this point I'm forced to consider whether the title is ironic. This was on repeat play for nearly three hours last night and at the end of the time I couldn't remember a single thing I'd heard. And I definitely did not notice as speeding up of my pulse during that time.
There is a sense of going through the motions as this album progresses. It keeps the style of previous releases but loses much of the substance. Lyrically this is less engaging, less intelligent, less dynamic.
There are a few moments when the tune threatens to break though, although patience is required as it doesn't happen immediately. The Penultimate Clinch is seems like it might be sticky, A Cloud of Mystery may possibly turn out to be catchy. I don't know that I have the inclination to listen to this enough times to find out.
I really want to say something nice about this album, about this band who have delivered some top notch tunage in the past. I really do.
So, I like the cover. It's pretty. And that's it. I'm out.
(Offering a little prayer that seeing them live tomorrow can change my view and that I've just missed something vital to enjoyment so far)

No comments:
Post a Comment