Monday, 18 May 2009

You're getting on my wick

I tend to think of myself as a live and let live type person. Most days I am fine with the fact that you can't get on with everyone and you just have to work around that. But occasionally I do come into contact with someone who makes me inwardly cringe with embarrassment that I am the same species as them. Last night, there were three of them.
These three didn't do anything particularly vile, they didn't break any laws, they didn't physically harm anyone. They did display an almost overwhelming lack of intelligence and respect over the course of a 90 minute gig.
I feel somewhat puzzled that in the current economic climate these three had money to burn on a gig they clearly had little interest in. It is also perplexing that they chose to display this by repeatedly showing themselves to be, at best, rejects from the best forgotten Leery Beery Bloke end of the Britpop spectrum and at worst, social inept markers of devolution. Primordial slime would have been a better fellow gig goer.
The only purpose they managed to serve was to show that Graham Coxon has grown in confidence as a performer, dealing with the asinine heckling with quiet restraint. At one point, early on, it seemed they may even be the best of hecklers - providing impromptu and mildly comedic banter between audience and stage. It only ever got as amusing as them responding to Graham's request for them to say something funny with the question 'who you calling a fanny?' Like the naughty child finding the chink in the armour parental disapproval we all laughed. But only for a minute because from then the comments were astonishing only in the pointlessness of them.
So, back to confusion then. The comments seemed to fall somewhere between attempting to be reverent (chanting Coxon over and over), insulting (although how requests for Blur songs that probably contributed greatly toward his mortgage is insulting I'm unsure of) and just downright weird 'you're from Essex' (actually no, but what point are you making if he was?) A very odd group to be sure...
They crossed the line when their shouting escalated and was encored with the throwing of drinks, and they then entered into heated debate with a girl who asked them to be quiet. They quickly fell into the retort of the challenged likening the firm but polite and fair requests to a fascist regime. The point at which I realised to engage further would prove no more fruitful than trying to discuss current affairs with a teaspoon.
They did disperse after this with only one staying to try and get his hands on the sweets sent forth from the stage before the final songs of the night. Songs that showed their strength by managing to shine above and beyond these bad manners.
Of course, they had indeed paid their money and had as much right as any of us to be in that room. It was, in fact, they who were the biggest losers (in more than one sense). The problem was summed up by Mr Coxon though as he headed into the final number - a cover of Davy Graham's Babe It Ain't No Lie, played out of respect 'cos some people still believe in that kind of thing'. A simple chastisement akin to a father letting you know exactly how bad you've been with the 'I'm not angry, just disappointed' line.
It's a shame these people do not have manners, nor respect, nor an open enough mind to experience something new, nor the intelligence to realise that Graham Coxon is more than a part of the band who did Country House. Mostly it is a shame for them...

(thanks to Sylviav for coming to the aid of my failing memory with the name of the Davy Graham cover. Gold star, top of class).

2 comments:

Tom Tom said...

I was there last night too, fortunately the other side of the room of those mentally challenged 'laddy lads'. Despite trying their best to ruin a perfect lesson in how a guitar really should be played, I really enjoyed the performance. Your spot on with what you say though. Excellent post!

Sarah said...

Cheers! I was right behind them which was unlucky I guess. Oh well, our evening of mild annoyance at them is their bigger loss that they couldn't appreciate the gig. And it was a great gig :-)